notyouraveragefratguy's profile - Class of 2024
|Columbia University||Pending||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 19||Oct 19||Oct 20|
|Cornell University||Rejected||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 20||Jan 08|
|Duke University||Pending||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 20||Jan 05|
|Georgetown University||Accepted||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 26||Dec 02||Dec 16|
|Harvard University||Pending||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 23|
|New York University||Pending||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 20||Dec 06|
|Northwestern University||Accepted||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 12||Oct 15||Oct 19||Oct 15||Dec 21|
|Stanford University||Pending||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 29||Oct 30||Nov 06||Nov 06|
|UCBerkeley||Pending||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 26||Dec 07|
|UCLos Angeles||WL, Withdrawn||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 19||Oct 21||Oct 22||Jan 07|
|UChicago||Waitlisted||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 19||Oct 19||Nov 17||Dec 22||Jan 18||Jan 22|
|UMichigan||Pending||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 27||Oct 28||Nov 02|
|UNotre Dame||Accepted||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 19||Oct 21||Oct 21||Dec 16|
|UOklahoma||Accepted||RDregular decision||yes||yes||$65,000||Oct 12||Oct 12||Oct 13||Oct 23||Nov 06|
|UPennsylvania||Waitlisted||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 19||Oct 19||Nov 04||Dec 02||Jan 15|
|UTexas at Austin||Pending||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 22||Nov 05|
|UVirginia||Pending||RDregular decision||no||no||Oct 19||Oct 20||Oct 20||Nov 17|
|Vanderbilt University||Accepted||RDregular decision||yes||no||Oct 19||Oct 21||Nov 09||Nov 06||Jan 07|
|Washington Universit...||Pending||RDregular decision||no||no||Jan 13||Jan 14||Jan 14||Jan 14||Jan 14|
Status checks in queue: 0
- 11:26 JoeDangit: if that's right then i take my words back lol
- 11:26 BelowMedianSaddie: knowing myself now
- 11:26 yearningtolawyer: @joe having a professional degree like a JD definitely helps
- 11:26 JoeDangit: I feel that Saddie.
- 11:26 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: That's just what I tell myself to make me feel better about it lol
- 11:26 JoeDangit: I don't even think I'm ready for it now, especially reading how combative some law school environments are.
- 11:27 masterofallfoursections: when i graduated from college i knew my ass was not ready for law school
- 11:27 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I think you just have to figure out how to schedule time and be super motivated to get on your shit, if you aren't then you get boinked
- 11:27 nota999: Basically FP as a field is (or at least feels like) it's "work here for 10 years and then hope that if the political winds are blowing the right way you'll get a chance to maybe do something tangible for folks"
- 11:27 nota999: which turned me off of it
- 11:28 masterofallfoursections: obviously not EVERYONE is like this but the new associates who start at our firm, we can always tell who never worked between undergrad and law school
- 11:28 JoeDangit: oh really? do tell
- 11:28 GlisteningReflectiveSetter: anyone know where tf Fordham is at
- 11:28 JoeDangit: I need to know how to masquerade that I know what i'm doing lol
- 11:28 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I always told myself t I was a ~different~ KJD because I worked through school lmao
- 11:29 masterofallfoursections: i feel like it had to do with them not understanding office politics/etiquette, like not knowing how to speak to their legal assistants right and stuff like that
- 11:29 masterofallfoursections: as someone who is on their 4th year of working, i am now afraid and nervous that i lost all of my study habits/skills and that mentality of being in school
- 11:29 masterofallfoursections: for the past four years, after 5PM i'm done for the day and i dont think about work all weekend
- 11:30 JoeDangit: that sounds like moreso knowing just how to be a decent individual lol
- 11:30 JoeDangit: i'm sure you'll get back into it really quick
- 11:30 masterofallfoursections: exactly and something that can be easily learned if you're aware and got some EQ
- 11:32 nota999: There's a podcast I listen to a ton called the Law School Toolbox, and in some of their episodes about OCI/summer associates/first year associates there are some wild stories.
- 11:32 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: Bet that's why a lot of doctors can be super jerks to their staff, most go straight through school
- 11:32 masterofallfoursections: v trueee
- 11:33 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: Guys does it really count as work experience if you're just on LSData the whole time :D
- 11:33 nota999: People insulting secretaries, getting drunk at lunch interviews, just straight up not working when they're in the office
- 11:33 masterofallfoursections: LOL true i hate my boss so much guys
- 11:33 nota999: like it just boggles the mind how anyone, even without experience, could think these were okay behaviors lol
- 11:33 BelowMedianSaddie: @glistening are you ur at fordham?
- 11:34 masterofallfoursections: I told my boss from the very beginning about my plans to go to law school in an effort to be transparent and that backfired on me lol
- 11:35 masterofallfoursections: My task list has increased while I'm being passed up for every promotion that my colleague, who has been doing this for less time than me is now a manager lmao
- 11:35 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: That sucks Master :( Boss is just jelly of you
- 11:35 masterofallfoursections: when I asked my boss, she said i don't have enough years of experience and said that if i was not leaving for law school this fall, we'd be having the promotion talk this fall
- 11:36 masterofallfoursections: *face palm*
- 11:36 masterofallfoursections: hence i do the BARE BARE minimum now
- 11:36 nota999: Luckily my firm has been super supportive of me going to law school so far. It'll feel kinda bad if I end up quitting over the low pay, because everyone here is super nice. It wouldn't stop me from quitting over the low pay, but I'd feel a little bad.
- 11:37 BelowMedianSaddie: i wish it weren't covid times (for so many reasons) but i wish i could do something low stakes rn like work at a bookstore or something
- 11:37 BelowMedianSaddie: instead of worrying about my ~career~
- 11:37 SoftTameCoral: god i can't wait to quit my job
- 11:37 masterofallfoursections: SAME
- 11:37 masterofallfoursections: when are you guys planning
- 11:37 masterofallfoursections: im thinking July
- 11:37 FrankOcean: i wish i had a job
- 11:37 masterofallfoursections: as much as i hate my job i need money so bad
- 11:37 SoftTameCoral: you want mine lol
- 11:38 asienboi: ill do any job
- 11:38 SpeakFrenchToMe: Me too. There is a lot I love about it...but not enough to keep me here lol
- 11:38 fancypants: jumping in too, I cannot wait to quit. My boss has known about my plans for a year, but our reporting relationship is pretty lax.
- 11:38 SoftTameCoral: @master yeah i'm taking 2 weeks of PTO in july and then quitting
- 11:38 nota999: I'm thinking mid-late June, assuming that wage negotiations go okay. Otherwise probably March sometime lol
- 11:38 asienboi: ill work for free idgaf
- 11:38 fancypants: It depends on scholarships and if I have to move, but ideally mid-July
- 11:38 bob-oconnor: any1 else coasting af at a paralegal job rn?
- 11:38 nota999: coasting at a legal assistant job, but basically ye
- 11:38 masterofallfoursections: @bob i have a similar to a paralegal position
- 11:38 fancypants: I work in higher ed development
- 11:38 gfgsl: my service term (TFA) cannot possible come quickly enough. we are in person + it is bad lmao
- 11:38 FrankOcean: bro i will take ur job lmao
- 11:39 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: same nota
- 11:39 SoftTameCoral: i work in political communications it is very different than what i want to do in the end (litigation)
- 11:39 masterofallfoursections: I told my boss that i was taking the lsat and needed the day off but asked her to keep it to herself cuz i was nervous
- 11:39 bob-oconnor: doin the bare minimum over here too
- 11:39 masterofallfoursections: next day, i had the janitor also asking me how i did on my test
- 11:39 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: The lawyers I work with are so nice, they always sit me down to have conversations about certain legal issues to "give me a leg up in law school" actually so wholesome
- 11:40 gfgsl: wait that
- 11:40 BelowMedianSaddie: @empty omg that is presh
- 11:40 gfgsl: that's so sweet @squirrel
- 11:40 fancypants: we are remote right now like most and I accidentally messaged the wrong person about law school, so now there are three that know
- 11:41 fancypants: I was worried because she's a grumpy old bureaucrat, but she was super supportive
- 11:41 masterofallfoursections: i have four other people at my firm talking to my boss about getting my job after i leave
- 11:41 nota999: @squirrel the attorneys at my firm are asking me like every week if I've gotten into any more schools. When I got into Gtown they were all super excited for me.
- 11:41 masterofallfoursections: im like.... im still here guys
- 11:41 yearningtolawyer: god i can't wait to quit my job
- 11:41 masterofallfoursections: SAME SAME SAME
- 11:41 bob-oconnor: how much notice are u guys giving ur firm before u leave?
- 11:41 honeysuccessful: looking forward to quitting my job more than anything
- 11:41 bob-oconnor: i dont want to screw them with like 2 weeks notice
- 11:41 yearningtolawyer: i'm a paralegal and one of attorney's is great and wrote me an LOR, but the other is a nightmare
- 11:41 honeysuccessful: 2 weeks
- 11:41 masterofallfoursections: @bob i basically gave them a three year notice
- 11:41 bob-oconnor: lol
- 11:42 SoftTameCoral: 3 weeks
- 11:42 masterofallfoursections: many ragrets
- 11:42 yearningtolawyer: i mean, they've known about my general plans to leave at the beginning of summer, so it won't be a total surprise
- 11:42 nota999: I haven't formally given notice yet, but enough folks know that I've basically informally done it.
- 11:42 masterofallfoursections: when can i leave without having to let the schools know?
- 11:42 yearningtolawyer: but for the exact date it'll probably be 2-4 weeks
- 11:42 fancypants: My position has a few huge longterm projects that run May-November, so I am going to let them know as soon as I deposit so we might be able to have some overlap
- 11:42 masterofallfoursections: after i get in?
- 11:42 LegallyClueless: any waves expected today?
- 11:43 GSDMutt: waves of disappointment, foreboding, nausea
- 11:43 LegallyClueless: damn
- 11:43 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I'm expecting all of my future decisions to hurt my feelings and I'm not prepared for that :(
- 11:43 nota999: Me and my supervisor have been lobbying hard to get another person in our department for a while, and the fact that I'm leaving has finally lit a fire under management's ass to get it happening lol
- 11:43 BelowMedianSaddie: @master people may have other opinions but i feel like after you submit your app you don't really owe them any updates unless they're good
- 11:43 GSDMutt: waves of staring down the barrel of a $300,000 educational expenditure :)
- 11:43 BelowMedianSaddie: (unless it's a c&f issue)
- 11:43 [A] cryptanon: ^agree with saddie
- 11:43 LegallyClueless: had a dream that I got donged from BU so hopefully that wasn't forseeing something
- 11:43 fancypants: yeah ditto @master and @sadie
- 11:44 LowlyImportantOyster: Hi can anyone tell me what it means to be deferred from ED to RD? The school doesn't do this automatically for non-admits
- 11:44 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: This is going to sound like an oddly specific situation, but does anyone else have parents who think they're clairvoyant and they've told you what schools you will get into LOL
- 11:44 fancypants: @lowly you applied ED and they don't want to make a decision yet so they kick the can down the road
- 11:44 fancypants: it releases you from a binding decision though, should you be admitted
- 11:44 BelowMedianSaddie: @empty yes but they don't think they're clairvoyant they just think i'm smarter than i am
- 11:44 BabarAzamFan21: anyone go UR2 at Berkeley today?
- 11:45 nota999: Alright folks, you think we're gonna see more As or more Rs today?
- 11:45 LowlyImportantOyster: Thanks @fancy. Is it a good result or more a neutral one?
- 11:45 ncan360: @Babar- yep
- 11:45 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: Lol Saddie, I have one who does that and one who thinks they're clairvoyant it's a lot
- 11:45 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I think that we will see nothing today because Mondays are slow
- 11:45 masterofallfoursections: @squirrel not clairvoyant but my mom is like saying shes been having good dreams for me about HLS and is so confident LOL and when I say anything negative about it, she makes me spit three times HAHA
- 11:45 fancypants: It's not a bad result or good, probably neutral.
- 11:46 fancypants: I'm not sure the stats for getting admitted after deferred, but if they wanted to WL or R you they would just do that
- 11:46 LegallyClueless: My parents keep trying to get me to apply to schools wayyy out of my range because they believe that I will somehow magically get in
- 11:46 fancypants: It's probably that they generally like you but want to see how their class shapes up
- 11:46 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: My Dad keeps telling me he's having good feelings about Yale and it really just hurts my feelings at this point LOL
- 11:47 masterofallfoursections: My mom asks me every day if i submitted my yale app yet and i still havent HAHA
- 11:47 BelowMedianSaddie: my parents are like "sure your stats suck but you have WORK EXPERIENCE" :(
- 11:47 masterofallfoursections: at this point, mymother and i would have the same chances of getting in, which is 0
- 11:47 BelowMedianSaddie: as if that means anything lmao
- 11:47 fancypants: my parents are barely trying to pretend they give two sh**s about this process
- 11:47 alegal: fordhammmmm
- 11:47 fancypants: I texted my mom that I got into Northwestern and she just replied "Cool."
- 11:48 BelowMedianSaddie: @alegal did they do something
- 11:48 LegallyClueless: I am from the Boston area and my parents want me to apply to Harvard so bad even though I am below both 25ths - they think being from the area will negate my stats lmao
- 11:48 fancypants: but also I am several years out of school and they are old and sometimes that's just how old people text
- 11:48 masterofallfoursections: i explained the whole UR, Wave, KJ1 terminology to my best friend who is an occupational therapist and she asks me every hour now what waves are going on HAHAHAH
- 11:48 BelowMedianSaddie: i have a friend from boston who went to harvard for undergrad and said all her friends called it "harvard state university" as a joke i was like um what
- 11:48 fancypants: that's dumb @below
- 11:49 BelowMedianSaddie: that was @legally re being from the area lol - yes it is dumb @fancy!
- 11:49 lshopeful2021: omg first time checking the status checker and seeing an acceptance before getting an email from a school! that's a rush!
- 11:49 lshopeful2021: also happy Monday hello party peoplllleeeee
- 11:49 BelowMedianSaddie: @ls - CONGRATS! where?
- 11:49 fancypants: Congrats! what school?
- 11:49 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: My mom found LSData the other day, now texts me if I got in the waves
- 11:49 lshopeful2021: Penn State Law - it's where I did undergrad. not suuuuuuuuuure that it's a top choice but I took the route of all the options, then decide later lol
- 11:50 BelowMedianSaddie: we are!!!!!
- 11:50 lshopeful2021: omg squirrel that's low-key hilarious
- 11:50 lshopeful2021: Penn State! yess saddle. <333
- 11:50 lshopeful2021: *saddie autocorrect!
- 11:50 fancypants: I just rushed to check mine, saw red, Michigan :/
- 11:50 BelowMedianSaddie: @fancy oh no they didn't do their usual R wave on friday is it coming today instead?
- 11:51 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I think it was the daily Michigan redness
- 11:51 fancypants: Oh no it just refreshes daily
- 11:51 fancypants: and it's not working now anyway
- 11:51 BelowMedianSaddie: i thought they changed that w the new update
- 11:51 fancypants: They had issues with the new update, went back to the old, then made it so that an IP address can only check 3 times an hour and the LSD checks share an IP (correct me if I got this wrong @cryptanon)
- 11:52 Middleofnowhere: Does anyone know if Virginia acceptance requires an interview or not? Lots of thanks
- 11:52 JustKeepSwimming: I emailed penn state when I applied (a month ago) telling them not to wait for my upcoming lsat score. They emailed and said they'd mark my file complete. Now, I've been marked incomplete for a month and it says they''re waiting for my lsat score. It's clearly their error, but how do I email them without sounding obnoxious? Should I act like I never emailed them to begin with or should I detail the situation?
- 11:52 fancypants: I've heard it does, @middle, which is bad news for me
- 11:53 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I'd just email them a "just checking up on this!" email, saying that you noticed that the status checker wasn't complete @swimming
- 11:53 BelowMedianSaddie: @swimming i would just send a casual email saying you noticed the status checker says it's waiting for your lsat and you wanted to confirm
- 11:53 BelowMedianSaddie: act casual!!! it's not a big deal they get inquiries every day like this
- 11:53 Middleofnowhere: @fancypants Thanks! I'm also not a big fan of interview...
- 11:53 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: My UVA interview was so casual and fun, it was my favorite so far
- 11:53 fancypants: @middle, that and I haven't gotten one after applying in October
- 11:54 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I've only done Vandy and Kiras though, so not much to compare to...
- 11:54 SoftTameCoral: I did that with a school, just emailed to say "I noticed the status checker says I'm missing x, and i just wanted to confirm if you all have received it"
- 11:54 LamentableLatePeacock: got a call from UCLA law but my phone was too far away agh!!! they don't call to waitlist, right, lol?
- 11:54 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: Nope! They email
- 11:54 UnableGrouchyBat: No!! ahhh
- 11:54 LamentableLatePeacock: !!!!
- 11:54 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: So exciting peacock!!!
- 11:55 Middleofnowhere: I just got UR1 after applying in mid-November, just a data point...Virginia is moving so slowly for me
- 11:55 masterofallfoursections: Congrats @peacock!!!
- 11:55 Middleofnowhere: Congrats!!!
- 11:55 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: UVA is weird don't read into it, no news is good news
- 11:55 masterofallfoursections: does anyone know if like the FAFSA, there is an advantage to setting up the CSS profile early too?
- 11:55 LamentableLatePeacock: ahhhhh so exciting!!!! thank you, hope it means they'll have some more movement this week—applied in october!
- 11:55 masterofallfoursections: its taking some time for me to gather my moms info
- 11:56 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I have no idea but I literally hate how I've had to do FAFSA, CSS (which costs money while I ask for money, nice), and some schools decide to have their own financial aid survey to fill out with the same info
- 11:56 LegallyClueless: how long did it take for you to get a uva interview after going ur? I assume i am waiting for the dong because of my stats but I wasn't sure
- 11:56 Middleofnowhere: @Empty thanks a lot, really need words like this while waiting desperately since November
- 11:57 masterofallfoursections: @squirrel how much was the CSS profile
- 11:57 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: Mine was really fast, but alot of people have waited months before an interview and getting in. I went UR2 before the interview though, and I think it was like a couple months of UR?
- 11:57 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: CSS profile costs like $15 per school
- 11:57 masterofallfoursections: okay, i was shaking in my seat worrying it was gonna be in the hundreds
- 11:57 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: Oh no, but it does add up when you have a few schools that do it
- 11:58 akhenaten: tfw my safety is....kinda the school i'm most excited about
- 11:58 masterofallfoursections: anyone else stuck at UR1 at NYU since Dec
- 11:58 LamentableLatePeacock: aw man i haven't even looked at CSS yet
- 11:58 FantasticProbableUrchin: Do we need to do the CSS and the FAFSA for schools?
- 11:58 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: I'm stuck at UR2 at NYU since November :D
- 11:58 masterofallfoursections: ouchie sorry
- 11:58 masterofallfoursections: not all schools require CSS
- 11:58 fancypants: @squirrel me too
- 11:59 masterofallfoursections: my rec is to open an acount and add the schools on your list (which IMO was the easiest way to figure out which schools require CSS Profile)
- 11:59 fancypants: What is the difference between the two? I have only done FAFSA
- 11:59 masterofallfoursections: if anyone cares, out of the schools i applied to, only columbia and stanford requires a CSS
- 12:00 SomberLumpySquid: are you supposed to send FAFSA stuff over even if you haven't been accepted yet?
- 12:00 nota999: Hopping quickly back to the parents talk, my folks are the opposite of "Have you applied to Harvard?" Especially with my dad it took a while to explain that no actually, school rank does matter quite a bit with the law.
- 12:00 fancypants: @Sober yeah go ahead and submit it. you can send it even if you haven't heard back yet.
- 12:00 ThePeripatetic: I was stuck at UR1 since early nov and just went UR2 this morning at NYU. They’re getting to us later applicants. Just hold tight
- 12:01 Middleofnowhere: I'm on the same boat for NYU...UR2 November and nothing since then
- 12:01 ChunkySweaters: Woooo Cornell invite FINALLY
- 12:01 BlackSourChicken: @empty my dad told me he had a very vivid dream of dropping me off at columbia lol
- 12:02 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: Well my dad used his clairvoyance to predict that I wouldn't get into NYU so I shouldn't expect anything anyway :'(
- 12:02 fancypants: @squirrel how rude
- 12:02 EmptyAuspiciousSquirrel: LMAO I'm so happy that y'alls parents are as crazy as mine about this